HSE consultation on Lead Ammunition
On the 6th May, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) as the Agency for UK REACH, published their proposal to restrict the use of lead in ammunition: A4template-online (hse.gov.uk)
Based on these findings, the HSE has launched a six month consultation on the following proposals for England, Wales and Scotland:
- ban on the sale of lead shot
- ban on the use of all types of lead ammunition for live quarry shooting including lead shot, shotgun slugs, lead bullets and airgun pellets
- ban on the use of lead shot for outdoor target shooting with possible exemptions for licensed athletes at licensed ranges with appropriate environmental protection measures
- ban on the use of lead bullets for outdoor target shooting with possible exemptions for shooting at licensed ranges with appropriate environmental protection measures
- mandatory labelling of the packaging of lead ammunition regarding the hazards and risks of lead.
CPSA CEO Iain Parker commented “We are fully aware of the publication by HSE Defra of the public consultation paper on lead ammunition and have been involved in the discussion process with the Government and will continue to do so.
We strongly oppose any changes to clay target shooting and our position remains that it is our intention to lobby hard to keep lead ammunition for our sport. We are reviewing the dossier and will challenge its assumptions, work with fellow target associations, trade, grounds and the Government to protect our sport.
We would encourage the membership to engage with this consultation and have their say.”
Please click on the following link to access the public consultation: